Send Us A Message


First Name
Last Name
Email Address
Question / Comment

At MMPR Counselling, we recognize that once you leave your initial appointment, you may have questions with regard to your prescription of medical cannabis. Therefore, we have created a list of frequently asked questions that can help you better understand your treatment. If your specific question is not in this document, please contact us at: 1-416-413-9434

Q: Where do I begin?

A:  First, you will need to consult with your Physician and have them fill out in a medical document (similar to a prescription but specifically for medical marijuana). It is always best to have your physician fill out the medical document as they know you and your medical history the best. Once you supply us with a copy of this document we will book you in for an appointment.

Q: What has changed under the ACMPR?

A: The largest single change is the introduction of provisions that will allow Canadians who need access to cannabis for medical purposes to produce a limited amount of cannabis for their own medical purposes, or designate someone to produce it for them.

Q: What if I don't want to produce my own?

A: No problem at all. In fact the previous regulations (The MMPR) have been "absorbed" into the new regulations. Anyone who is already registered with or is wanting to purchase from a licensed producer will only see on change:
You can now purchase dried herb, fresh herb or cannabis oil and you can turn your herb/oil into oil/butter and edibles legally.

Q: Can I produce my own and purchase from a licensed producer?

A: Yes. An individual can possess cannabis for medical purposes from both a licensed producer and from his/her own production (or designated production) if he/she obtained a separate medical document for each supply. The maximum amount that may be possessed by any individual is still the lesser of 30 times the daily amount indicated by his/her health care practitioner, or 150 grams of dried marijuana (or its equivalent). 

Q: Does Health Canada issue Medical Marijuana licenses anymore?

A: As of August 24, 2016, under the ACMPR, the only legal means to access cannabis for medical purposes is through Health Canada approved licensed producers or by registering directly with Health Canada to grow your own limited supply.

Q: What keeps me legal when carrying my medical cannabis?

A: Your proof of authority to possess will either be the label on the packaging from a licensed producer or a separate document accompanying the shipment of dried cannabis from the licensed producer. Patients are NOT given I.D cards from the Federal Government.

Q: Can I travel with my medical cannabis?

A: You may travel with your medication within Canada. You are allowed to carry your daily limit x 30 but the amount cannot exceed 150g. For air travel it is recommended that you check with the airline. You CANNOT travel outside of Canada with your prescription.

Q: What will the cost of my medication be with a licensed producer?

A: Each producer has their own pricing. Our physician will do their best to help you choose a licensed producer, however, a full list of licensed producers can be found on the Health Canada website. If at any time you would like to change licensed producers, you must contact the clinic to make an appointment with your physician. It is important to note that many licensed producers do have compassionate pricing models for patients receiving disability or assistance payments.

Q: What proof do I need to qualify for the Compassionate Discount?

A: A copy of ONE of the following documents must be sent to your Licensed Producer:
  • Copy of Notice of Assessment (NOA)** from Canada Revenue Agency with the following information:
    • Name, address, taxation year, date issued and summary of line 150.
  • An attestation of your total revenue for the year from the Canada Revenue Agency
  • An attestation from your provincial disability support program.
**Please note all other information, other than the fields listed above, on the Notice of Assessment may be hidden as it is not pertinent to the application. All information obtained will remain confidential.

Q: How do I know what strain I need?

A: A MMPR Counselling physician or consultant will provide you with guidance on which strains will work for your condition. Also, after you have left the clinic, your licensed producer may be able to give you guidance on which of their strains might work best for you.

Q: How do I use cannabis oil?

A:  Typically cannabis oils are fully activated and ready to use without the need for further heating or baking. Cannabis oil can be ingested on its own by administering the dose under the tongue or it can be mixed with food or drinks. Examples of ways to ingest the oil are as simple as mixing with a glass of juice or adding to your favorite recipes.

Q: How much can I order?

The Equivalency Factor provides a conversion between dried cannabis and cannabis oil, however it should be used only to calculate purchase limits and is not a dosing guideline. Each 50mL bottle of Cannabis Oil has an Equivalency Factor of 10g.

Q: What are the effects of ingesting cannabis oil compared to inhalation?

A: The effects of ingesting cannabis oil are slower-acting and longer-lasting than inhalation of dried cannabis. When cannabis is inhaled, effects are almost immediate, with a 5-15 minute onset and a duration of 3-6 hours. The effects of ingested cannabis oil can take 60-90 minutes and may last for up to 12 hours, depending on the potency and amount of cannabis oil taken, and the mechanism of delivery as well as the tolerance level of the user.
There are many variables which can contribute to the effects of ingested cannabis oil such as the time of day, empty or full stomach, metabolism and tolerance. To effectively gauge the effects of Cannabis oil, it is recommended to take the same dose at the same conditions each day.

Q: Is my medication covered by any Health Insurance provider? 

A: Your medication is not currently covered by any Federal, Provincial or private health insurance. The only body covering the cost of medical cannabis is Veterans Affairs Canada. You can, however, claim your medication as a medical expense when doing your taxes with valid receipts.

Q: What about Veterans Affairs Canada coverage?

A: In order for a client to be eligible, you must first have coverage with VAC. A client approved for Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) treatment benefits may have A, B or A/B coverage. For clients with A-line coverage, the need for medical marijuana must be related to the client's pensioned or awarded disability condition. For clients with B-line coverage, coverage may be in relation to any health condition but can not replace any coverage offered by provincial health care plan, if available. Medical marijuana is not currently covered under the Rehabilitation Program.
We highly recommend you speak with your Veterans Affairs representative prior to this process to ensure the process is handled effectively.

In order for VAC to review the request, we must receive a request in writing which includes:

  • A copy of the completed medical document as required under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR)
  • A copy of the completed and confirmed registration with a Licensed Producers, and
  • The client's name and Client ID number (K number). 

This request must be submitted to:
Veterans Affairs Canada
Special Authorization Centre
PO Box 6200, STN LCD 1
Moncton, NB   E1C 8R2

Q: Do you send any information to my referring physician?

A: After each appointment, MMPR Counselling will send a consult letter to the physician who referred you to our clinic.

Q: How can I access copies of my medical records from MMPR Counselling, if required?

A: You can access copies of your medical records by completing an “Authorization for Release of Personal Health Information” that you can request from the administration staff. There is a processing fee of $20, and we will contact you when the request is processed.

Form Download:



Powered by